Falling in love

praying-to-god “True prayer is not gritting our teeth but falling in love.” - Richard Foster

Tonight until sometime Saturday afternoon I will be at  Mt. Saint Alphonsus on a prayer retreat with four other men that comprise our board of directors for the Sound of Life Radio station. While we are gathering for the purpose of praying for direction and wisdom…we have decided against a set agenda other than falling on our faces before Him. That’s why the above quote from Richard Foster is so heavy on my spirit…I want to fall in love again…I want a passion that overflows with gratefulness towards Him. I have this great need of….Him.

Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; and let those who love Your salvation say without ending, Let God be magnified. (5) But I am poor and needy; make haste to me, O God; You are my help and my deliverer; O Jehovah, wait no longer! Psalm 70: 4-5

Total dependence on the Father is the answer for all our needs. Psalm 70 is first a declaration of who He is. Then it’s a shout of desperation, a cry for rescue and then declaring His ability to meet that desperation…it’s all about seeking HIM first. That’s how we fall in love.

“True prayer is not gritting our teeth but falling in love…

So, here is how I’m approaching this weekend, with the attitude of this ancient prayer by St. Ignatius and not so ancient poem (by yours truly).

Peace,
Jay

Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty,
my memory, my understanding and my whole will.
All that I am and all that I possess You have given me.
I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will.
Give me only Your love and Your grace;
with these I will be rich enough,
and will desire nothing more.
                  - St. Ignatius - 16th century

A Passion for Purity
A passion for purity
burns away the dross
All the loss is gain
Through the fire I become
more than a casting
a crucible refined
The reflection of His glory
                  - Jay Cookingham - November 6, 2003

Comments

Popular Posts