Beach Musings - Place

“The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; yea, I have a beautiful inheritance.” Psalm 16:6

748px-CapeHatterasNationalSeashore I think of this place, this small piece of heaven on earth, with great fondness. The island is a skinny sliver of land sticking out in the Atlantic, probably only 3 miles wide at its widest point. Yet it is a wild expanse of beauty and to me it is one of the largest smallest places I know. Hurricane after hurricane has shaped this place (we’ve been chased off the Island by one). With nicknames like “Graveyard of the Atlantic” and “Torpedo Junction” history has left its mark as well. For me however, it’s been a much different historical place.

Hatteras is the place where my oldest son Josh (now 21) took his first steps. This and many birthday and anniversary celebrations not noted in world or even Hatteras history but recorded in Cookingham lore has shaped us all. In this place there are some unpleasant memories as well, some even on this trip, where relational moments seem as rough as the ocean at times. Here we must learn to ride the waves with courage and faith.

Whatteras2008 014hat is “place” then? I think it is a combination of stages, events and relational moments. It’s seeing where God has you and where you’ve been. A mixture of dreams, hopes and desires set to the rhythm of life…His life through us.

My lines…my life, has fallen in pleasant places…that is an awesome place.

Blessings,
Jay

 

LiveJournal Tags: ,,

Comments

S. Etole said…
There is no place where He is not ... our place in Him
Anonymous said…
Just lovely Dear Jay ~ We could write nearly the same about our yearly trips to Sandbridge, since our Sophie was born. We too have seen those hurricane warnings and watches posted oceanside ~ both the natural and human kind. Keep enjoying those waves and hugs to you all! See you in June ... Blessings, Bee :)
Unknown said…
S.Etole, your comment is so true and so comforting! Thanks!

Bee, I know you guys love Sandbridge as well as we love Hatteras. Thanks for dropping by!
Love you guys...see ya soon!
Jay

Popular Posts