I’m Forgiven

forgivenessrain Today part of my family went to a neighborhood church that held VBS this past week. The Sunday service is given over to the VBS crew and all the kids sing, recite and basically show off to their parents…it’s great fun. As I watched Becky (8) and Isaac (10), my two youngest, strut their stuff up front I couldn’t help but reminisce. There were so many triggers to jog my memory, the biggest was sitting next to me…I call her mom.

Jesse Temple is not my real mom but in almost every sense of the word, she is mom to me. Mom Temple is part of the reason I follow Christ today, some 40 plus years later after meeting her family. Her son Alan and I have been close friends since we were seven…that’s a long time (I’m 54). He was sitting with his family in the same pew as us, next to his Mom with his wife and two daughters…it was quite a picture. You see, those forty some odd years ago, I accepted Christ at a Kid’s Crusade (much like a VBS) after Alan invited me to come with his family.

During the service, Mom Temple leaned over to me at one point and whispered…

“Seeing all those kids up there gives me hope.”

She’s right of course but I realized something else and I thought…

My kids are up there because I’m forgiven…because I’m His.

The hope that Mom sees and the heritage I see are the result of forgiveness…mine.

I desperately needed (still do) a Savior, someone to rescue me…and my future. When I think of the near death experiences and the attempts to derail my life, I shudder inside. Forgiveness has enabled me to live the life God has intended for me, it’s so much more than being “saved” it’s a calling to become. I can become the husband, the father, the brother, the son and the man I was designed to be…because I’m forgiven.

Thank you Father, knowing I’m forgiven…sets me free to become.

“And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.”
Philippians 1:6 (NLT)

I'm forgiven. And I don't have to carry. The weight of who I've been. Cause I'm forgiven!

Technorati Tags: ,,,

Comments

Loren said…
I love this post for so many reasons! One being, I can relate to having a spiritual MOM when I was younger. My family did not go to church but my best friends parents did and almost every weekend they would take me with them and were the loving example of Christ to me in all they did. I am so thankful for them today as I reflect on their Love and care of me during those days!
For Christ, who has forgiven me and changed me, loved me, and continues to teach me each and everyday of my life! Without HIM ~ myself and my family would be nothing!
Thank you for this WONDERFUL POST :)
Jay Cookingham said…
Loren, I love it when God rewrites our story and makes it a blockbuster! Your story is a wonderful example of that. Thanks for sharing!
Bill (cycleguy) said…
Jay: had never heard Sanctus Real and especially that song but suspect that will change. Loved these thoughts and you will see that when you see I linked to it. I am a recipient of God's grace and forgiveness and pray I never forget it...no matter how accusatory the enemy gets.
Jay Cookingham said…
Bill, adding Sanctus Real to your playlist will be a treat I promise ya! It's great to remember that we're forgiven and free to become all He wants us to. Bless ya bro'
I am His Beloved said…
Jay..Not only do I love your post but the power of God's forgiveness in my life is one that I never tire of hearing or talking about, never get ho hum about. Wow..I AM forgiven! Thank you for this powerful reminder and this great post.
-I am His Beloved (Julie)
Jay Cookingham said…
I appreciate your kind words Julie. His forgiveness brings so much freedom to our lives...I never tire of hearing about either!
jasonS said…
I thought of Psalm 32:1 and 2, "Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit."

So blessed! What a wonderful gift we have received. Thanks Jay- great thoughts here.
Jay Cookingham said…
Love that verse dude...speaks right to the heart of what God was saying yesterday! Thanks bro'
Duane2scott said…
Only God can undo the wrongs we have done. I'm very thankful for that.
Jay Cookingham said…
Me too bro'...me too!
Dusty Rayburn said…
There is a definite freedom and heritage that comes from knowing God's forgiveness and salvation through Jesus Christ.

Awesome thoughts!

Loving some Sanctus Real action.
Jay Cookingham said…
Sanctus Real rocks...as you do my friend! Thanks for dropping by!
toddruth said…
Forgiveness. Is. Powerful. Thank you for the reminder!
Jay Cookingham said…
Sure is bro'... forgiveness = freedom in my book!

Popular Posts