A Wise Journey – Christmas Poetry

 


three-wise-men After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem (2) and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” Matthew 2:1-2

 

I lost a little hope yesterday…I let the burden of cares and worries get the best of me. It seemed pointless to pray…I mean, God is going to do what He wants anyway…right? I was weary and frustrated with the journey…and then I felt the gentle call of the Master. So, I went with my wife to our bedroom to pray and seek the King…it was a small wise journey. When we began to worship the Messiah, the fog started to lift and my hope returned. Afterwards, I remembered this poem I wrote a few years back…it is from the Magi’s perspective and it echoes my heart’s cry. Blessings, Jay

A Wise Journey

I feel the dance of distant angels
in the resonance of a star

I hear their songs carried on the
hopes of a people lost

On the terrain of souls, veiled darkness
gives way to a bright life

It was but a journey, with
one land left behind

Following a radiant facet of heaven,
leading to a new land
Leading to a new kingdom

I cannot bow low enough

I empty myself of gifts

I empty myself

A child king is before me
And I am undone.

More is given to me than
all I came to give.

I lift my eyes and see in his
a view of eternity.

I pause in the reflection of a
heavenly realm
Now earth bound for all.

I came by one way

Leave by another

It is a wise journey I
begin anew

Jay Cookingham © November 25, 2002

Comments

S Etole said…
Do your really think He does what He wants anyway or is that just how you were feeling? Your poems are really good!
MichaelDPerkins said…
And I am undone.

Jay, I love this man.
Jay Cookingham said…
Susan, I was feeling that way at the time...just a bit bummed out. When I started to worship Him, my "feeling" changed! Bless you...
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Bro' I appreciate that very much!

Popular Posts