Validation

 

 

hnds-1 copy

I was thinking...

At the core of a human being is something remarkably complex. We want...no, NEED, our views, our opinions, plans, ideas, dreams, and accomplishments validated. We want them to matter to other people, other human beings.

Why?

I think the answer is in the middle of the word validation...it's the word ID. We want to matter because it's part of our identity, our value and our worth.The invisible identity card we carry cries out for validation, for approval and acceptance. Yet, it is constantly being questioned by the cruel border patrols of doubt, fear and insecurity. We look for validation through work, relationships and achievements...but is it enough?

I don't think so...not for me...I suspect not for you either.

I look through my wallet at all the forms of ID I carry...nope, not enough. I look through those invisible ID cards that I carry (that I wish I didn't)...nope, not even close to being enough.

What then...is enough?

The Father's validation...the one who has place a much higher value on who I am.

"The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children." Romans 8:16

"God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children." The Message

Is that enough?

Oh yeah...more than enough!

“Your true identity is as a child of God. This is the identity you have to accept. Once you have claimed it and settled in it, you can live in a world that gives you much joy as well as pain. You can receive the praise as well as the blame that comes to you as an opportunity for strengthening your basic identity, because the identity that makes you free is anchored beyond all human praise and blame. You belong to God, and it is as a child of God that you are sent into the world.” Henri J. M. Nouwen

Are you feeling validated today? Are those pesky border patrols giving you a hard time? How can I pray for you?

Comments

TCAvey said…
 Pretty profound post- I really like the quote at the end as well as using border patrols as an analogy. 

Daily, I am learning who I am in Christ and growing more comfortable in this life He has given me to live.
Jay Cookingham said…
It is a daily journey with Him and a moment moment discovery of how much He values us! Thanks TC!
bill (cycleguy) said…
Right on the money Jay.  You know, some days I know who i am without question. Other days, it is like "stop this train!  I want off!" (I would say Merry-go-Round but I would want off cuz I get sick going in circles).  I am thankful that even through my unsure times, He validates me with His seal. 
Jay Cookingham said…
I know that train too well my brother...but you're right...He validates with His seal and His love. Thanks Bro'!
Dan Black said…
I was having a hard day while at work but what really was encouraged when my wife called me and shared words of encouragement to me. She did not know I was having a hard day but God did:)

I could always use prayer for more Godly wisdom. How about you do you need prayer?
Michael said…
Reminds me, Jay, of Jesus' own challenge as to His identity when He was tempted by the devil in the wilderness. Satan's challenge: "If you are the Son of God..." A direct challenge to His ID. Jesus' response, like your own advice, was to quote the truth of His Father's word in the face of the ultimate Border Patrol!
Jay Cookingham said…
Good insight addition there Michael...even Jesus had a direct challenge to his ID! Thanks, Bro'
Jay Cookingham said…
Praying for wisdom in all you do my brother! As for me...you can pray for the same thing...we all need it! Thanks Dan!
floyd said…
The border patrols... Who hired them anyway? Oh yeah, we did when our earthly dad sinned. Deep inside of us is who we really are and what we choose is the exercise of God's most precious gift; free will. 

This is a great subject and you cut right to the core of it. I think we all need to be reminded of who we really are in this world. Thanks.
Jay Cookingham said…
Spot on brother...Let's remind ourselves daily of who we are in Him! Thanks Floyd.
Dan Black said…
 I'll be praying for more Godly wisdom for you:)
Ed said…
It's funny how we need both physical and spiritual border patrols. But more often than not, we find we need to beef up our spiritual ones even more than the physical ones. Thank God prayer is cheap!

I don't need prayer personally, but if you would, could you pray for my sister, she's having some dental implants adjusted and its a process over 4 years in the making...
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen to that brother Ed...and yes, I will be praying for your sister.
Joanne Norton said…
Yes, my friend.  His ID for/with me truly IS all that counts.  And, as our world becomes more and more identity required to even grocery shop or fill our gas tanks, only He can pull us through.  Thanks, Jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
Love your insight sister! Thanks!

Popular Posts