God’s Response

 

light copy

Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many. Hebrews 12:15

I am, like many of you, daily preoccupied with the tragedy in Connecticut. I think about the above Scripture and wonder how I could somehow “look after” my fellow man from afar. I strain at the picture of evil presented to me, how dark everything looks when I dwell on it. How can I effectively respond to such darkness?

The Father’s response to dark, troubling times was to send Jesus. God didn’t send a political solution, new policy or legislation to dispel the darkness.

He sent His son…the light of the world.

The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine. Isaiah 9:2

That’s the message of the incarnation, Christ being born into a dark world, into a violent time and bringing good news of great joy. The world Jesus entered was brutally dark and deadly. Humanity was under a death sentence of sin and it needed a Messiah…it needed the light. It still does.

How do I respond then?

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16

I love like the Messiah…bringing light into a dark world.

Silent night, holy night,
Son of God, love’s pure light,
Radiant beams from Thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth,
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth.

Blessings, Jay

del.icio.us Tags: ,,

Comments

floyd said…
Let your light shine... A good reminder... The event is mind numbing... The rhetoric that lacks all wisdom surrounding it is beyond nauseating...
Jay Cookingham said…
Our response needs to be His response for sure my brother. Thanks Dude!
jasonS said…
I was praying and reflecting this morning on Jesus' coming (both historically and in our everyday) and I found myself proclaiming and thanking God with this: "there was no hope until you gave us hope." So simple, but it touched me so deeply. Thank you, Jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
That's a great proclamation my friend!

Popular Posts