Letter to the Church at Market Street




This is a letter I wrote this morning for the church I serve as pastor/shepherd. As I prayed for them, my heart was moved with compassion for the hearts I follow Christ with. Fighting back tears I wrote in the "style of an epistle", a dispatch of deep emotion. I share with all of you so that you would pray for me as I serve these awesome people, I desperately covet them. Thank you!

My brothers and sisters,

Something special is happening to my heart and it concerns all of you.

It seems that in pursuing/serving/ your hearts I have discovered a love for you that is deeper and purer than I ever imagined it could be. I was just praying and thinking of you all, and my heart is melting with tears.

I hurt for you.

I envision the battle you're in, the load you carry and the multitude of struggles that seek to discourage you daily. You have carried deep sorrow, managed the pain of loss and fight the fierce enemy of regret daily.

All of this, and more, moves my heart for you.

I also see a company of soldiers, an armed family of sons and daughters who have chosen a sacred path and have no intention of turning back. There is purposed determination in your heart; you know who your God is and your love for Him is deep. I love it when you hear His words and you believe them with the tenacity of Honey Badger. Your eyes light up with hope, shining with a reflection of the Father’s heart. That reflection is a life of freedom, the promise of a Father who sent Jesus to battle for our hearts.

I am encouraged for you (and by you)

As we dive into the freedom that Christ has purchased for us, may we remain focus on the battle that is raging around us. The enemy of our soul is unashamed about wrecking havoc in our lives…he lies, he steals and is pumped about destroying anything precious to the Father. Do not be surprised by the pushback and the viciousness of that attack by this deceitful one. For it is written:

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

And it is has been said by one of our past Church leaders:

Many of us are hunting mice - while lions devour the land. (Leonard Ravenhill)

It is time to push back the darkness, to not concern ourselves with the smallness of the world and give ourselves over to a life of faith like we have never known before. For it is written:

“Who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens." Hebrews 11:33,34

The truth is that we hunt lions with a bigger Lion!

For it is written:

And one of the elders said to me, “Weep no more; behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.” Revelation 5:5

Weep no more…Jesus has won the victory

I am honored to be in such a company, overwhelmed to be one of your servant leaders and blessed to know each and everyone of you. You are my brothers and sisters, your hearts are purified by the greatest heart there is and set free by His great love for you. I urge you to never surrender to any kingdom but His and stay valiant in the battle for that Kingdom which offers freedom to all who come.


Yours in Christ, Jay

Comments

Popular Posts