Not giving up on hope



I’m not giving up on hope.

The recent tragedy in Sutherland Springs, Texas has threatened to rip hope from my heart but I will not give in.

“And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.” Psalm 39:7

I’m not giving up on hope…I can’t afford to. I do believe that hope is oxygen for our souls… it breathes life into the empty parts of our life on this planet. Hope helps you believe redemption is possible and that good triumphs over evil.

Dr. Martin Luther King said it this way…

“If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.”

My response to this tragedy (and others) must supply hope. My comments, my speech, my actions, my opinion must be saturated with the hope that sheds light on truth. Hope consumes the intent of evil and in its place brings peace and the courage to fight on. Solidifying my hold on my rights will not stop the flow of violence nor will the selfish desire for my voice to be heard above the voice of others. My opinion will not change this evil, nor will ranting and raving across party or denominational lines. Only His light, only His love and forgiveness can work that miracle.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13

If I lose hope, if I refuse to shine the light of the Gospel, if I lack the will to do good… then I give away my heart to lesser things. I must do the good the Master sends me to do and love with such ferocious passion the evil of this world gives way to its light. Hope overcomes the evil with the goodness of God.

“Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.” Romans 12:21

But…I’m so angry!

Be angry yes, but don’t let anger distort your vision and your heart. Get angry at evil, at injustice and the cruelty of sin. Speak up but cover and filter every word with the love of Christ. This is the way to counter evil, bringing hope and love into the fight. His love works to change hearts… starting with ours first.

“Dear Children, let us not love with word or talk but in deed and in truth.” 1 John 3:18

God bless, Jay

Comments

Popular Posts