"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." - Psalm 143:5

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Patchwork Hero

 

 

patchwork copy Back in my Jesus freak days (my early 20’s) I was a sight to behold, particularly my wardrobe. I had a pair of jeans that were mostly a network of patches, imagine Joseph’s Technicolor Dreamcoat, but in pant form. I worn them with a bandana tied (don’t ask why, I just did) just below my right knee, perhaps a symbol of my own particular outlook on life.

I loved those pants…I still missed them

In many ways, those pants defined me and not just because they were skin tight. My life was (and still is) a patchwork of life experiences. I remember wearing them to church one Sunday and being chastised by an Elder for disgracing God’s presence by not wearing a suit and tie. When I reminded him that Jesus worn neither, he got angry and called me a clown.

And so I am

For years I danced around who I was, afraid to just be Jay, thankfully I left that dance floor years ago. I am a patchwork, a collection, an anthology of the life changing message of Jesus Christ. Who the Father is making me into is stands in complete opposition to what the world would like me to be. I refuse to be domesticated, tamed by a world system that devalues and destroys life. God is using my life collage to send a message counter to that system. That message pulls on my heart, urging me on, making me accept a truth about my life.

I am a patchwork hero

My hero persona is more akin to a rodeo clown, standing in the way of the bull threatening to trample a fallen cowboy. My pants may be funny looking, not up to standards, but they get the job done. My patchwork story tells a remarkable and powerful tale. It chronicles God’s redemptive work in my life, a life redeemed to make a difference, even when it looks foolish to do so.

“Our dedication to Christ makes us look like fools…” says the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 4:10.

You know…I’m OK with that. How about you?

 

del.icio.us Tags: ,,
blog comments powered by Disqus