Why I Cry at My Own Sermons

 

cry copy

Actually, I don't really know why...something strange is happening to me. It seems that I can't get through a sermon without choking back tears and fighting for composure. These deeply emotional moments come (seemly) randomly and when I least expect it...then I feel undone...almost unable to continue at times.

Here's another thing...it happens when I'm sermon prepping and not even at the same spot in my notes as when I'm speaking a few days layer. My family will tell you that I'm not a crier, that is takes a lot to make me cry...so why the sudden influx of tear-duct activity? I wonder...am I losing  it? Or maybe...just maybe, my heart is not yet "new" enough.

"I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart."Jeremiah 24:7

"And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart." Ezekiel 36:26

The process of receiving a new heart is more than a transplant of values, it is a radical new way to live. It's a heart that beats with a rhythm of surrender, responding in the only way that brings life. I cry because the Holy Spirit is moving in such a way that it breaks up stony, hard places and brings life up to spill all over the people around me. I marvel at such love and I ask...I pray...I cry for more.

So...Why do I cry at my own sermons?

Because He makes all things new...even my heart.

 

Comments

Bill (cycleguy) said…
I would say you have a tender heart. Please, Jay, don't ever lose that. It is easy over time to get calloused when studying or preaching. Be overwhelmed by the love and majesty of God and never apologize. :) Love ya man!
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Bill, coming from a heart such as yours, I feel honored and humbled to received such a kind affirmation. I love you as well bro'...bless ya!
jasonS said…
I will admit that I tear up easily, but I don't often cry easily. I have been in the midst of sermons or worship services where I didn't know if I could continue because I felt the deep emotional connection to what I was singing/saying. It's a beautiful thing! Awesome to hear how God is touching you, Jay. :) Thank you.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Jason...I think His heart beating inside of mine is bringing a new release of His love for people...very humbling as well.
floyd said…
If the Holy Spirit is breaking our hearts it's gonna show up some where... I can't think of a better place than in a show of love and compassion...
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen to that my brutha! Hope all is well with ya!

Popular Posts