Parking Lot Dance

 

 

PARK-dance Life is a series of dances… or at least great opportunities to poke fun at your coolness factor. This past Labor Day my daughter Becky and I went to fetch the health food known as Dunkin Donuts. Notice I didn’t say “healthy food” just health food… it may be bad health but it’s still a certain kind of “health” food… but I digress. Becky is my youngest (11) and although we share many wonderful qualities, acting crazy in public places is not one of them.

I woke up that morning full of restlessness and somewhat agitated. When I get this way I either need to take a walk (stomp with Jesus) or act crazy.

I chose… crazy.

As we entered the store we saw my pastor and his wife, so I did the “Glad to see you” dance, which was just the beginning of my mad boogie mojo. After visiting for awhile we moved on to the “Standing in line” dance (BTW… all the dance moves… look the same) which quickly turned into “Yeaaaa, it’s our turn to order” dance. Oh, my daughter was not joining me in these dance moves; she was giggling and pleading with me to stop.

I was just getting started.

As we walked to the van to return home it was time for… you guessed it! The “Parking Lot” dance! My sweet daughter who didn’t want to call attention to us was now blowing the horn as her crazy dad was dancing around the van, both of us in somewhat complete ignorance to the attention gathered by the music of the horn and my questionable dance moves. Much laughing, snorting and giggling filled the ride home… that was much healthier than the donuts we would consume later on.

That was a joy moment… that was a God moment.

Joy erupts in the strangest moments, the times when you least expect it to. Yet, there are times you can orchestrate it by being available for the flare-up. Embracing the silly helps, it releases the constraints of properness and gives joy an avenue to express itself. The real key in my mind is the ability to be thankful to the God who came to give us life… abundant, full life.

Parking lot dances help… believe me… even the Bible agrees!

“You have turned my mourning into dancing for me; You have put off my sackcloth and girded me with gladness.” Psalm 30:11

What about you… bust any moves lately?

 

del.icio.us Tags: ,,,

Comments

jasonS said…
Laughing, having fun, staying loose--it's so important! We treat it as if it's a separate thing, but our body, soul and spirit are all connected and benefit from the joy. I reserve most of my questionable dance moves for our house with our kids, but I do agree with you. It's just necessary. :) Thanks Jay.
marthaorlando said…
I get that chance to "bust" those moves each Sunday when we lead contemporary praise worship. :) Guess I need to try parking lots, too!
Dusty Rayburn said…
Last time I busted a move I busted my... Granted I was on roller skates. ;-)
Jay Cookingham said…
Home is the best place to bust those moves bro'!
Jay Cookingham said…
I didn't know you did Roller Derby moves bro'!
Bill (cycleguy) said…
I busted some moves with my grandson this past weekend. They were in a pool at home that we had to blow up. Fortunately, the tire pump didn't work so I got my shop vac out. We played for over an hour getting wet. Yeah, tired but fun.
Jay Cookingham said…
That's some good "clean" fun bro'!
Michael said…
Funny you should ask... Sheila and I danced together in the "parking lot" of the Columbia County Fairgrounds as we passed behind the grandstand where country artist Joe Nichols was performing. A nice, slow country song providing an opportunity to hold the love of my life close... Just the sort of opportunity Father sprinkles throughout our lives on the road Home!
Jay Cookingham said…
The sweet dance of romance is a blessing from the Father's heart! Thanks Bro'!
That's fun. I just did a post about, "choose to be happy". You choose to be happy. I wonder how many people had their day changed as they drove by and saw your joy expressed?


Thanks for sharing this.
floyd said…
On the elliptical at the gym yesterday! Sometimes you just gotta move! Embrace the gifts and acknowledge His majesty, I'd say that's worthy of our dancing. Good for you, crazy man!
Jay Cookingham said…
GYM mojo is good bro'! But maybe you'll join me in a parking lot dance!
Jay Cookingham said…
Choosing to be happy is right on Bro'! Not sure how many people enjoyed my dance but I sure did!
Eddy Damas said…
I'm too old to bust a move, but apparently not too old to break a bone... :P
David Bartosik said…
hahah I just don't exactly know what to do with this post other than to see keep it up? :) Keep embarrassing your daughter!
Jay Cookingham said…
Oh...I plan on it bro'! Thanks for the encouragement!
Joanne Norton said…
WELL, on July 4th, when I was in Washington, and a nephew was marrying, I went. At the reception, music was being played, and one of my favorite fun songs was coming... "Old Time Rock and Roll"...and one of my sisters, Niki, indicated it was her favorite, too. We ended up dancing with it... I used my cane as a controller, but I would NOT dance to my favorite song. [I think I'll show you the picture on FB; you'll laugh.] Anyhow, one of my grandsons was with me, and he was nearly 16, and he had never seen me dance. He took the photos and he was just amazed at the fact that I did it! And I did pretty good, considering age and stuff. Anyhow, I LOVE dancing... I've done for the Lord, I've done it for fun in Uganda [teaching them line dancing and there's a video that shows us doing it; crazy], and a number of ways and hows and reasons. Can hardly wait til I'm in heaven and can truly dance before the Lord, with JOY!!! [And no cane!!] Loved your story, BTW.


Oh...and enjoyed reading your posts, but get so side-tracked I don't usually have a good chance. But at least I caught up a bit with you. That counts. Don't want to lose my brother.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Joanne...so glad you're not afraid to bust da moves! Thanks for being my sista!

Popular Posts