"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." - Psalm 143:5

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Unbelief – Guest Post

 

Today’s guest is from my friend Bill Grandi, Bill is the Lead Pastor of Owen Valley Christian Fellowship and fellow blogger at Cycleguy’s Spin. Bill is one passionate about God brother and I believe you will be bless by visiting his blog often. Enjoy his thoughts here today and please leave feedback for Bill.
Bless ya! – Jay

toughprayer

UNBELIEF

When Jay asked me to guest post, he left it open-ended. My first thought was “Sure. I can do that, but on what?” Well, I cannot tell a lie. This post was inspired by another I read recently at http://eileenknowles.com/90-trust/

It got me thinking about one of my favorite “Jesus-encounters” in the Bible. It happened after the mountain top event of the Transfiguration. Jesus and the three (Peter, James & John) come down from the mountain only to be greeted by a man distraught over the disciples’ inability to cast the demon out of his son. (You can find the story in Mark 9:14-29). The part that intrigues me is the conversation Jesus has with the father. After a question from Jesus on the duration of this problem, the father says, “But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” Jesus then tells the father, “If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” The father then states some words that have intrigued me for quite some time: “I believe; help my unbelief!” Then, of course, Jesus does His thing and casts the demon out of the son.

I have no trouble with Jesus’ words. In fact, I cling to them more than I can say. It is the father’s words that I have stewed over. “I believe; help my unbelief!” How can he say he believes when at the same time he asks Jesus to help his unbelief? I may be wrong in this, but here is how I have come to understand it. Let’s say we use a ruler to measure our faith; and let’s say that faith measures 5 out of 10. Could it be the father was saying, “I have faith that would put me at five. But I want a complete faith (a 10). Help my five-faith become a ten-faith.” He brings what little faith he has and gives it to Jesus, admitting an incomplete faith. Jesus takes what little faith he offers and makes it greater.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have come to God with a Number 5 faith (sometimes even lower or higher), and watched God “grow” my faith into a more complete one. He has graciously taken what little I have to offer and honored His promise.

Have you ever had that experience? How have you understood that Scripture? I would like to hear your thoughts.

del.icio.us Tags: ,,
blog comments powered by Disqus