Rock, Scissors...Hope


Paper-Rock-Scissors2banner

I woke up early this morning to a quiet, sleepy house…every one still tired from yesterday’s full day of life. Quickly preparing for work, tasks like brewing coffee, making my lunch—just the routine of a daily journey—goes by silently and passionless. The morning air is filled with my heavy sighs.I stop by my desk knowing what I will see, my Kryptonite, the pile of bills that threaten my superpowers.

My power drains…and it’s time to go.

In that moment by my desk, I had loss hope. A rock and a hard place is not a good place to be…I hate it. I feel my power cut off, my faith breath fading…the Kryptonite scissors of doubt are working overtime on me.

Driving to work, I breathe a prayer…
Father, send me hope…please send me hope.

I start to worship and praise a God who is worthy…despite what I feel about the circumstantial evidence on my desk. The evidence contains facts for sure, but they are based on my circumstances not His truth. Like the mythos of Kryptonite, the only power they have over me is when I surrender to them. I praise a God of hope…the power returns.

Rock…Scissors…Hope covers them both…hope wins.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13

I am covered by hope…what about you? How can I pray for you today?

 

del.icio.us Tags: ,,

Comments

jasonS said…
Hope is incredibly powerful, isn't it? God in His love and wisdom offers us a window to see something different--to see through the eyes of eternity. The view is breathtaking and imparts such a strength! Breathing in that hope today as I read this, Jay. I can never get enough. Thank you.
Jay Cookingham said…
Yes indeed Jason...so glad for that truth!
floyd said…
Man I know the feeling Jay. Hang in there brother, we have hope because of His promise. He will provide. Period. It might not be the way we want it, but it is done. I'm praying for you to live without the fear of this world. You can pray the very same thing for me.
Jay Cookingham said…
You got my back...I got yours bro'! Thanks Floyd!
Eddy Damas said…
Much like you, I worry about things that are slightly out of my hands, so please pray that I accept that God's will be done in my life today. Thanks Jay!
Jay Cookingham said…
Praying for that my brother...bless ya!
Michael said…
You write about things experienced by so many of us, Jay, expressions of our common weakness. The day-to-day battles that rise to meet us as soon as we open our eyes.

I've sometimes felt like the human equivalent of Kryptonite - someone that should be catapulted into space somewhere away from society where I won't trouble or hurt anyone. But then, like you, I hear the approaching footsteps of the marvelous trio of faith, hope and love and I'm able to go on.

Thank you for sharing your whole heart, Jay. You're a blessing to me with your encouragement and prayers on my behalf. I look forward to the time when you make it possible to purchase your literary or artistic products online and, in so doing, give us the privilege of joining with you in the battle against the bills...
Jay Cookingham said…
Appreciate the support and encouragement my friend. Leave the outer space travel to the astronauts, you're needed here!
S.Etole said…
Praying for abounding hope for both of us. Blessings as you wait on His provision.
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen Susan...bless you!

Popular Posts