Game of Thrones

 

throne copy I have to admit to not seeing one episode of the HBO series Game of Thrones and I plead ignorant to the value of its viewing gratification. Although I have no desire to watch it, I find the title intriguing.

Except…it’s no game.

The human heart will enthrone a king… through the lines of succession or otherwise… it will be ruled, our choices will always crown a sovereign over our heart. Not only that, there is the battle to keep that monarch in power and the internal struggles of a despot ruled kingdom.

At best, we fool ourselves that when we rule the heart, our benevolence outweighs the indulgences of our decisions. After all, we’re a good king, not one to take advantage of our position. However, the truth of our reign is this; that the real threat to our throne is not dragons, armies, or unscrupulous heirs… it is ourselves.

Thankfully, I am not bound to play by the rules… in fact;
I’m not bound at all.

Redemption has overthrown the dictator, replaced the tyrant and installed a righteous King as lord over my heart. Here freedom has replaced the overbearing subjection to self and the seemly unwavering alliance with “my way or the highway” system of ruling. My King, Jesus, has healed the kingdom that I nearly destroyed and transformed how I fit in the new Kingdom. Under His rule, I am free, more than I ever could be under mine.

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness. Psalm 45:6

My game of thrones is over… I forever belong to the King of Kings!

How about you… who has your heart?

 

del.icio.us Tags: ,,,

Comments

Jay Cookingham said…
Looks like Google plus wipe some of the comments off the board, sorry everyone....I think I have it fixed.
floyd said…
Awesome post, Jay. The world celebrates all things of the flesh denying the true Power of this world. "God will not be mocked." "Yeah! He's my king!"
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks brutha! The King rules with such love and power that It's hard to imagine why we would serve anybody else!
Michael Kimball said…
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


This stanza from the hymn Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Robert Robinson so well reflects my desire and plea for the Lord's faithful keeping of my, at times, unfaithful heart. A cry he is only too willing to fulfill!


Thank you, Jay, for your constant expressions of love and encouragement to us.
Nancy said…
After having just finished reading The Game of Thrones last night, I can relate to your post so easily. The characters in that series struggle and struggle with each other and with their own consciences, those that have consciences anyway. There doesn't seem to be a way out of the madness for anyone except by death. It makes me think of the time before Christ when no human could do enough to save himself. So thankful He came and freed his people.

http://about.me/nancyhvest
Jay Cookingham said…
I love that old hymn...it certainly resonates with my thoughts bro'...thanks Michael!
Jay Cookingham said…
So glad He has given us the means to put an end to that struggle...and freed us! Thanks Nancy!
Sarah said…
Amen Dad! When God has our hearts, everything is secure and we can bless Him and others! That, is freedom!
Jay Cookingham said…
So true my princess...freedom indeed!
jasonS said…
We think we can do so much better than God, but we don't see the full picture and we don't have His wisdom or compassion. A king without advisors is at a great deficit, but God doesn't want to be our advisor, He rightfully will only take the King's throne. Good stuff, Jay. Thanks!

Popular Posts