Artist in the Shadow of God - Repost


Moses_and_Joshua_in_the_Tabernacle


This is a repost from last November and since I'm in a bit of a blue funk this was a encouraging reminder for me this morning. When the creative juices get a bit dry it's good to remember where our gifts come from...His anointing and His impartation. I pray it encourages you today. - Jay

“To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted.”  ~ George Kneller

Since I was about seven years old, I have always found some area for my talents to be used. I have painted murals, designed every thing from T-shirts to logos, written studies and sang in just about every choir that you can imagine. I even did a one-man play of the Prodigal son story (that was a blast). My creativity grew every year but not the opportunities…my main talents are in the realm of graphic design, writing and teaching…not the usual suspects for the worship part of the Sunday gathering.

Yet, when we create, when we explore our gifts and push the envelope of who we are as artist I believe (are you ready for this?) we are worshipping. With all my heart I believe the Father’s heart is made glad when we dive into the fullness of creativity…that He has deposited into us! The best part may just be the “canvas” we paint on doesn’t have to be used just on Sunday to be a blessing to the church. Of course I’m talking about the Church with a cap “C”.

I’ve been studying this artist guy found in the OT…Bezaleel (His name means “in the shadow of God”). The Word says this about him.

"I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship. Exodus 31:3

Bezaleel was charged with designing the Ark and for the Tabernacle and it blessed the heart of the Father and all of Israel…that’s a major deal right there. We are all artist in the shadow of God…anointed with the same Spirit and we can worship Him with what we create.

“Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” — Henry Ward Beecher

What are you dipping your brush into today? Do you feel inspired by a Holy God?
Love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

Gary Taylor said…
"Blue funk," eh? Me too because I can't find the muse. Took a break from my 0500 writer session (through noon) to peek at Soulfari.

Golden tip of the day, and I'm dipping my brush on a really big pallet I try not to take for granted: "When we explore our gifts and push the envelope of who we are as artist I believe (are you ready for this?) we are worshipping."

Nice, Jay. Write me if you have something a co-sufferer of the Blue Funk can pray about empathetically.

Back to writing...er, ahhh, umm "Worshipping" through the keyboard.
Dustin said…
>>> “To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted.” ~ George Kneller

Never heard that before.... that is where its at today! Thanks for sharing, Jay!
Jay Cookingham said…
Appreciate that Bro'...bless ya!
Jay Cookingham said…
Go for it my brother! Worship hard and get that book done! The world needs the encouragement and the guidance...bless ya dude!
jasonS said…
Yes! We all need to understand this better. I know it's all worship when we use our gifts and abilities, but it's so easy to forget or be distracted by everything going on (or not going on) around us. Great reminder, Jay. I want to know this truth more deeply.
Jay Cookingham said…
Me too bro'...I want to be engaged in that creative worship all the time!

Popular Posts