Father Ache


It’s late and I hope this makes sense, but it’s heavy on my heart so I’m sharing these thoughts that ran through my spirit today….Jay

us2010n The father who would taste the essence of his fatherhood must turn back from the plane of his experience, take with him the fruits of his journey and begin again beside his child, marching step by step over the same old road.  ~Angelo Patri

 

It’s a deep feeling, one that stays with you, not necessary a pain but it does hurt a bit. The make up of this feeling includes dreams, hopes, plans, and concerns. It tends to keeps me up at times (OK, a lot of times) and distracts me in other ways I can’t really explain.

I ache for my children

My hope for them on their journey with Christ is far greater than I exercise for myself. I see greater potential, giftedness and ability in each one of them…they have been blessed by the Father. This small nation of seven is made up of terrific and good kids, each with a healthy relationship with Christ. Yet, they have struggle at times with their faith and they have failed in some areas of their life because of those struggles.

In each of their struggles and in every success there is a tug on my daddy’s heart. My prayers cover both so that neither failure nor success dominates their heart, only their love for Him. This ache is a passion for them to fulfill the purposes that the Father has for them, to stay the course and remain faithful. I don’t consider this ache a bad thing at all, for it drives me to my knees. Because of those prayers (and God’s faithfulness) I have begun to see the fruit of the Scripture below.

“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” 3 John 1:4

What about you…do you ache for your kids? In what way?

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,

Comments

seekingpastor said…
I ache for what they sometimes face at school and for what they might face in the future. It's a good ache--it makes me pray more diligently.
bill (cycleguy) said…
Since mine are adults and away from home, my ache is somewhat different than yours. I ache for my oldest, who is single. At 35 (soon to be 36) I have seen a young lady who has so much love to give someone not find that man. I ache for my youngest as she struggles emotionally with a husband who is fighting faith and has trouble with a Father God who loves Him. I am not sure if a father who loves his children ever gets over aching for them. Good thoughts my friend.
Moe said…
I do Jay! My first long term disciples that God gave me were my children. To teach them, to guide them, to see them start doing things on their own. I do pray for them in all things. I hope that they persevere, I wonder about their faith and I pray that God blesses them with His presence each day. That is the greatest joy for a father, to see his children walking in the truth.
Jay Cookingham said…
Absolutely Moe! Our children are our first disciples and to see them totally own their faith is priceless. Thanks Bro'
Jay Cookingham said…
I agree Bill, I don't think a father ever get over aching for his kids and that is a good thing. Thanks for sharing your heart, please know I will pray for your ache and your kids. Thanks Bill!
Jay Cookingham said…
Praying for them sure does help that heart ache doesn't it bro'. Thanks Matt, appreciate you sharing!
Miawa said…
Oh I ache also! My love for mine, though they are grown is so great I can't imagine that there is anything bigger but there is - His love for me. I watch mine too as they travel a path that leads them close and far in distance from me and the Father and yes, it's what brings you to your knees isn't it! I imagine my parents watched me with the same ache.
Jay Cookingham said…
You right my friend, this ache is a reflection of the great love the Heavenly Father has for us, His children. Bless ya!
Gary Taylor said…
I git it. The ache. This moment is a break from writing about it (Generational Fathering) and Skype chat with oldest grandson over my series of post letters to him and his brother on integrity as a foundational character trait. That discussion alone is enough to set off my achey breaky heart. Why? The world, literally and figuratively is going to Hell. Chaos deepens, confusion and insecurity reigns with no hope in sight on the political, moral, cultural, financial levels. Well, yes, One Hope. That's where your prayer and mine ride the same trail...that they would live in and proclaim with integrity that Hope.
Dustin said…
I want my prayers to ache for my children's faith. I want them to know Him so much!
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen Dustin...I'm with ya!
Jay Cookingham said…
Great words Gary, let's walk that prayer trail together!
Ryan Tate said…
Oh! This is the ache of my heart. I am on this path right now. My kids are young (we have another one on the way, due in October!) and I crave to live as the father God desires me to be. Thanks for the encouragement and spurring on.
jasonS said…
The ache brings us to our knees--wonderful way to describe it. I want to feel it more. Great post, Jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
I'm with ya brother! I can feel the burn as I lift my kids up in prayer. Thanks Jason!
Jay Cookingham said…
Congrats on the next little one Ryan! They'll be stepping into a household of love for sure!
John said…
I am praying for all children of the world.
Jay Cookingham said…
That's an awesome thing John!

Popular Posts