Stirred Up



 man_praying_face_dow 

 

 

 

 

Something really powerful happened to me recently, something that has changed the way I see myself. First a little back-story…I apologize for the length.

Work has been insane; I’m entrenched in server migrations, web design, book design and my everyday IT duties. Late hours and countless meetings suck the creativity right out of me on a daily basis and resentment crept in like a fog over my spirit. I was a mess inside…but I kept on like a good solider.

Since the beginning of 2011 I felt like Father God was going to release me into my dream (read Stepping Out here) but now, almost 4 months later I am more entrenched at work than ever. The past few weeks I have been in and out of funky town (put a song in your head didn’t I?), which was most unpleasant. I discovered on one of these trips that I had made a huge agreement with the enemy.

Somehow I decided that God was protecting me from…me. He knew that I would fail as a speaker/author/ministry guy so He was keeping me SAFE at my job. God knew that I didn’t have what it takes, so He was giving me what I could handle…and I bought this big time! I walked around with this agreement for weeks and it was slowly undoing me.

One day last week God asked me to read Ezra…

“Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying, (2) Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.” Ezra 1:1-2

After reading these Scriptures God asked me an interesting question….

God asked me, “Jay, what are you building”?

Honestly, I didn’t know any more so I just closed the Bible and decided to ponder that question for a while. It didn’t take long for God to give me direction and correction.

I was clearing out some old paperwork and came across a letter that my wife wrote to honor me on one of my birthdays, I won’t bore you with the whole letter but there was this one section that grabbed me by the throat.

“Some men build massive skyscrapers, awesome bridges, complex computers, things which can be destroyed. My man builds lives.”

I realized that I had forgotten what God has called me to, so I asked God why did I believe a lie? Here comes the correction part.

“You have been so busy asking your own question, “When are you going to let me do what I want?” to hear the truth about yourself.”

Ouch…but that gentle rebuked stirred up in my spirit and I feel the charge again of my Father to build lives. It is not a matter of getting what I want; it’s a matter of obeying the call of the Father. I broke the agreement I made with the enemy and I see clearer now than I have in months.

“God often takes a course for accomplishing His purposes directly contrary to what our narrow views would prescribe. He brings a death upon our feelings, wishes, and prospects when He is about to give us the desire of our hearts.”
- John Newton

“When I took a long, careful look at your ways, I got my feet back on the trail you blazed.” Psalm 119:59 (The Message)

What about you, have you allowed agreements with lesser things to rob you? What is the Father charging you to build? I would love to hear your thoughts and to pray for you.

Blessings, Jay

 

LiveJournal Tags:

Comments

HisFireFly said…
Moments sitting under His correction can be hard - but also deeply satisfying!
And yes.. now both Rick and I are humming THAT song.

Agree with me in prayer as I break the lies that I will never really be a writer... for I am already a willing pen in His hand.
MichaelDPerkins said…
No one likes being corrected. But the corrections are necessary for us to become complete. Blessings man.
mohan37 said…
I honestly think I'm being charged to build a life that reaches the lost more. Much of my spiritual energy is directed towards the church itself, i.e. the "found." I need to tell more people about Jesus. If that's my focus, I think whatever I build will be pretty awesome.
Gary Taylor said…
Touched, my man. Deeply. A blaze of Tweets and comments on FB and thoughtful intrusions in my own life--like today on Taylor's quest--had me picturing you a towering mogul of cyber complexities. Now I find out all you build is people?! So happens you miss out on the glory train thataway. You are only remembered by a few of those holy edifices who belong to God anyhow. This is a perfect segue for today: Building people up into the future generations is the book and my life. Building people is Matt's life. Very cool, though. The same God to Cyrus decided to close the famous Aspen Ranch. That boots Matt, the family therapist, out on the that path David spoke of. So Taylor is on his Quest and a half mile away (unbeknownst to Taylor) Matt is on his own Quest for the future people-building ministry ahead (starting with his oldest).

Jay, isn't it a simply great life He's given us? It would seem nothing without challenges...and wifies who remind us it's not about temple in Judah, books on the best seller list, covers on some million seller books; it's about the people He give us to build.
bill (cycleguy) said…
We must be soul brothers in more ways than one. I have also been in a funk that has lasted a lot longer than a few weeks. Wondering what in the world it was has brought me no answers until this past week. The church I pastor had moved into some new digs in October and knew it was too small and a plan was developing for more space (additional building). then we got hit big time between the eyes with betrayal that set us back financially but the idea of a new building has continued on. Some are consumed by it. I started falling into that trap of agreement with the enemy also. I realized within the past two weeks that I am not here to build buildings. I am here to build lives (with God's help obviously). I am trying to re-focus myself to the task at hand. Thanks for your thoughts jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
Good thoughts Soul Brother! I know you build into my live Bill and I suspect that you are doing more of the same in your church. Everything will burn except what He build through us...kept building bro'!
Jay Cookingham said…
Gary, those are true and powerful words of confirmation. The Father has blessed us with a life that challenges and "builds" us into the man He needs...awesome.
Jay Cookingham said…
That's a awesome charge Mo and I believe that God will use you because you are willing! Go for it dude, I'll be praying for ya!
Jay Cookingham said…
Me. I LOOOOOOOVE, being corrected....yeah right! The hardest part of correction for me sometimes is admitting I'm wrong. Thankfully He knows the way into my heart and that process is getting shorter as our walk together deepens. Thanks Bro'
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen! I agree with you sister! You have a amazing gift and your sensitivity to His heart is the creative energy behind it. Praying for multitudes of opportunities to bless Him with that gift!
Dusty Rayburn said…
"What is the Father charging you to build?"

Faithfulness and complete trust in Him in all matters. To follow Him without hesitation into any situation... not because I can succeed but because He is not going to fail.
Jay Cookingham said…
Absolutely bro'. Depending on Him in everything, all the time...awesome equation for success! Thanks Dusty!
Moe said…
I need to focus! God wants me to focus! But I'm so easily distracted with.... (ready for this?)... life!

Please pray for me!
Dustin said…
The agreement of "you're not good enough. you'll never make it." Something I've been holding onto for a while...
Jay Cookingham said…
Praying for you Moe, I understand how "life" can distract us form doing what the Master desires, believe me, I do!
Jay Cookingham said…
Dustin, I'm praying for you bro' to break that agreement...the Father wants you to know that you DO have what it takes because you are His son!
jasonS said…
I know where you're coming from. It's amazing when we consider that God believes in us. Of course, He created us with our unique abilities and gifts. He supplies what we need when we need it. He always believes in us and He waits on us to believe what He sees. Powerful post, my friend. Thank you.
Ken said…
Wow Jay, you have given me something to think about. I am busy trying to rebuild my life after my wife's passing away. Am I building what He wants me to build? In many respects I am, but...
Jay Cookingham said…
Ken, I'm praying that God invades every space you occupy on this planet and fills you with purpose and direction. God bless you bro'
Jay Cookingham said…
I love that Jason, what an awesome way to put that! Thanks Bro'
seekingpastor said…
Building my children is very high on priority list. Helping them to become the people that God wants them to be is a desire of my heart.
Kenny's Dad said…
Hey I'am with you in prayer for what "EVER" it is. Go Man Go!
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Bro'....appreciate that!
Jay Cookingham said…
Matt...that is a daddy's heart for sure!
S Etole said…
I've read this several times since you posted it ... not quite sure of the answer.

Blessings on the work that you are doing.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Susan...God bless you!
Cindy Holman said…
Great article - glad to find your blog and find you on twitter because of Jason posting this article on his blog site.  Blessings!
Jay Cookingham said…
Bless you Cindy and thanks for the kind words!

Popular Posts