Epic Story


 

“O God you have made us for yourself and our hearts are restless until they find rest in swordyou”. St Augustine

How many visiting here love a good story? So do I. Whether it’s a good book, an movie or someone telling it, a story moves us. They capture our imagination, draw us in and sometimes play havoc with our emotions. Stories help us discover, they can inspire us or sometimes (depending on who is telling them) just wear us out.

Know what I discovered? There is a yearning in all of us to be noticed, for our story to mean something. People have an intense longing for belonging, a deep need to know and be known. We desperately want someone to know our story…I know I do. Can I encourage you with this truth?

Your story is important… Because YOU are important to Him

There is a call on your life—whether you are a Christ follower or not—soon you will make a choice. To follow Christ and embrace all He created for you to fulfill or not. You may think about it, mull it over, ponder it, meditate on it, and even study it, but you will make a choice, either to accept or reject the invitation. This is the first call to us, the call of Salvation. From sin yes, but salvation is more of a call to become. We are called to be His sons and daughters, so we fulfill the destiny laid out for us. Salvation gives us legs for the journey.

“But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people”
Jeremiah 31:33

God’s call to join the story is more than a calling to serve; it’s a call to be with Him. It’s the relationship that adds the meaning to the journey and we can’t escape the pull. The Father has woven His image into our DNA, each chromosome, evidence of His imprint.

It’s a pull that when resisted, frustrates and confuses us. Trying to write ourselves out of the story is like trying to unravel our genetic material and reverse its design. We were designed to be central parts of God’s story, characters destined for great deeds for His Kingdom.

There is no audition to take; this is an invitation to engage in a story line far greater than ever imagined. God is offering a dream role, a leading part in a story that changes the character we are and the character in us. The role creates a big picture vision that inspires, motivates and more importantly, connects us to the Father’s plan.

However, God’s story also invites questions. Will I adopt my Father’s will, His ways, the adjustments to my character and the radical life of being last to become first? Can I accept His desire to rewrite my story to fulfill His?

If we can say yes to those…we’re on our way.

Here is what I believe Father God desires you to know. He’s always been interested in your story, where you are in your story, and who you are in your story. There isn’t a part that escapes His focus…His plans.

“Looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2

I grew up in an abusive home and it was a horrible beginning to my life story. In the middle of that dark chapter in my life Father God spoke life. Sure I endured abuse, pain and neglect but they did not author my story. God did, through His son Jesus! The Greek word here for author is archēgos (ar-khay-gos') which means captain or prince…that’s so cool to me that in our story, our prince did come!

The Father speaks hope in our story. Now that’s a page turner!

“But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.” Psalm 39:7

How is your story lately? How can I pray for you?

LiveJournal Tags: ,,

Comments

MichaelDPerkins said…
My story is getting much better. Pray for His will in my family and I's lives. I would really appreciate it.
Jay Cookingham said…
I have and will continue bro'...God loves your story!
jasonS said…
This is the role I was born to play! There's nothing so horrible or even mundane that He can't turn around. Great words of encouragement once again, Jay. Thank you. I fix my eyes on Jesus because He's the author and finisher of my faith.
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen Jason...our story is meant to make a difference! Go for it bro'

Popular Posts