Lack – Key



Permanent-3 copy[5] This post is a part of a weekly book discussion hosted by Jason Stasyszen of Connecting to Impact and Sarah Salter of Living Between the Lines. I encourage you to check out the other posts which can be found on their sites. The Book we are discussing is The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. This week it’s chapter three  entitled “You lack one thing”

“When we say that we want to be disciples, yet attach a list of conditions, Jesus refuses to accept our terms. His terms involve unconditional surrender.”
– Richard Sterns

You lack one thing

How come I feel like I’m missing or lacking a bunch of “things’? I have to admit this is a hard post for me. With my own personal economic meltdown I’m having trouble focusing on writing…here is a sampling of what I mean.

My company looks like it’s failing and I may be out of a job.
My freelance business is drying up.
My savings is gone (not counting the change jar on the kitchen table).
Oh yeah….I just caused 2,500.00 dollars worth of damage on my 12 passenger van this morning…

So, while driving my newly damaged van to the auto body guy for an estimate, I start firing questions off at God…(when will I ever learn?). Please forgive me ahead of time…this is an ugly exchange.

God, what about my lack? Do you see the faithful son…you know, the one toiling in the fields…the obedient one? So, I may not make my mortgage payment but now I’m supposed to care about what others don’t have? Huh…what did you say? Did you say…yes?

Yes son…the answer is always yes….did I have to answer that for you?

Ouch…did I ever open a big can of stupid and down it's contents!

You know what? My lack is not my list of financial woe (or any list). My lack is/was…compassion. Like the rich, young ruler (except for the rich and young part) my heart was lacking (and this is the lack-key) the one thing Jesus was asking of me. In this case…compassion towards others. I went away (from my selfishness) sorrowful but repenting.

Pity parties are usually well attended, at least mine are. I’m a seasoned son, I should know better. I grew up poor, my house did not have indoor plumbing, we often went without food and medical care…my heart should be sensitive to these things. Callous hands on a man are good, a callous heart in a man is not. There is a desperate cry from the world for un-calloused hearts to love like Christ. All it takes is unconditional surrender…please pray that I can.

Blessings, Jay

Empty pockets never held anyone back.  Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.  ~ Norman Vincent Peale

Technorati Tags: ,

Comments

HisFireFly said…
Your heart is bigger than you imagine Jay, and the rest of us out here can see that!
Jay Cookingham said…
Becki, that was so very kind of you! I appreciate and receive the encouragement and insight. Blessings!
Becki R. said…
Oh, how hard it is to see the light at the end of the tunnel when our eyes are covered with blinders....blinders of our own circumstances and pain. Hang in there. IT.IS.CLEAR. God has a plan for your current situation and with the strength of CHRIST, you shall overcome.

I know it's so hard to see in yourself what others see in you, but I can tell you right here, without a single doubt, that you are a blessing to everyone who knows you and "knows" you. :0) Be blessed and keep your eye on the prize!

Becki
Jay Cookingham said…
Jason my bro'...thanks for the encouragement. My God is for me, that I know.
jasonS said…
Oh Jay, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble, but I can see God speaking to you in the midst of it which is what He wants for each of us. And compassion? That's huge! Thank you for your honesty.

Praying for you. This is not the end. Jesus is THE END (and He is the Beginning too). Love and blessings and lots of prayer...
Jay Cookingham said…
We need our hearts to be broken...daily, even moment by moment. Thanks Herb!
Jay Cookingham said…
Well said Dusty... appreciate your heart and prayers!
Dusty Rayburn said…
Unconditional surrender in spite of strife. Unending compassion in spite of our own situation. A heart of and for God.

Praying for you daily Jay. You are a blessing and are being used by God.
herbhalstead said…
Great post, Jay. I can hear my own voice as I read it. To borrow from Hillsong, may our hearts break for what breaks His, may we submit our lives to His Kingdom's causes.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Bro'...I take all the prayers I can get...the Father loves us so. Bless you!
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks sister...I DO appreciate the kind words...but my heart needs to be so much bigger than what it is. Only the grace of God can do that work. Bless you!
Bill (cycleguy) said…
I had added you to my daily prayer list in my Moleskine. I will know more now what to pray for. Even though we cannot connect in body, I have your back in spirit.

Popular Posts