Where Would Jesus Go?

Permanent-3 copy[5]

This post is a part of a weekly book discussion hosted by Jason Stasyszen of Connecting to Impact and Sarah Salter of Living Between the Lines. I encourage you to check out the other posts which can be found on their sites. The Book we are discussing is The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. This week it’s chapter three  entitled “The Towering Pillars of Compassion and Justice”

I admitting to using part of an older post of mine but I believe it fits with what my heart is feeling after reading this chapter. The author asked himself many questions such as…

Are I willing to be open to God’s will for my life?

Just what was God’s will for my life?

What did He expect of me?

So, I pondered those questions and I asked…What do you expect of me? His answer?

Come…follow me

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” Mark 16:15

Jesus went wherever people needed reconciliation and connection with Father God. In modern day context that could be bars, clubs, strip joints, bingo halls, city hall, I guess just about anywhere. Speculation to Jesus’ visiting itinerary is great to debate and muse about but I'm sure we would all be surprised where He would turn up.

However, He does "turn up" where we go, the places we frequent, visit and live in. The Message we carry as we interact with those not yet journeying with Christ is fleshing out the Great Commission everyday. I have worked in the Bowery, taken in ex-cons, started ministries for orphans, help coach little league, soccer, prayed for and visited work associates in hospitals. Yet, I know it’s not enough, there needs to be a renewal of compassion in my heart and a God size passion for justice…so I’m asking.

Where would Jesus go…next?

What I have discovered is that relationships are one of the Father’s ways to reach the world He loves desperately…it is a risky and heroic action. It takes faith to walk where Jesus goes and where He wants us to follow.

"Faith is the heroic effort of your life. You fling yourself in reckless confidence on God. God has ventured all in Jesus Christ to save us. Now he wants us to venture our all in a life that can face anything it has to face without wavering....Again and again, you will get up to what Jesus Christ wants, and every time, you turn back when it comes to that point until you abandon resolutely....Jesus Christ demands that you risk everything you hold by common sense--and leap into what He says....Christ demands of the man who trust Him the same reckless spirit....that is daring enough to step out of the crowd and bank his faith on the character of God."  - Oswald Chambers

Peace,
Jay

 

Technorati Tags: ,,,

Comments

HisFireFly said…
The cry of my heart is to be that brave and that bold.. not able in my power, but perhaps by His Spirit...
Jay Cookingham said…
I think you and your husband have answered that question many times over. Bless you Karin!
jasonS said…
What a beautiful way to live our lives! Where would Jesus go next? That is a wonderful question worthy of exploration. Just stirs me up so much! Thanks Jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
It's an awesome question, one to leads to all kinds of self examination as well. Appreciate you bro...thanks!
Sarah Salter said…
What a great post, Jay! Something I'm occasionally guilty of is that as soon as I get through one task, I "reward" myself with a break to rest. If I'm not careful, that break becomes an extended vacation in complacency. I need to get into the practice of saying, "Okay, Jesus, that assignment is over. Where to next?"

Thanks, Jay!
Jay Cookingham said…
Sarah...I like rest...I think I could make it a profession/career/lifestyle if God would let me! I guess that Scripture about stirring each other up is a good thing right?
Thanks Sis!
Duane Scott said…
So often church's have enough religion to gather, but not enough passion to go out.

Thanks for being a part of the difference.
Jay Cookingham said…
That, my brother, is an excellent way to sum this all up....thanks!
Herb Halstead said…
good thoughts here.. Lord, cultivate in me a reckless spirit!
Jay Cookingham said…
I agree Herb, a restless spirit that follows hard after Him!
Herb Halstead said…
in my mind's eye I am imaging Elijah "girding up his loins" and taking off!
SandraHeskaKing said…
I hope I'm still saying, "What's next?" when I have one foot in the grave.
Jay Cookingham said…
Amen Sandra, serving Him till He takes us home....I like that attitude!

Popular Posts