Not Moved

 

Crashing-Waves

 

 

 

 

 

 

And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.  (38) And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? (39)And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (40)And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
                                                                              Mark 4:37-40

Lately I have to admit to acting more like a frightened disciple than a overcoming son of the most high. Maybe it’s the list of things going wrong, maybe it’s a longing to be safe…maybe…just maybe…it is a lack of faith. The disciples were afraid and Jesus was still in the boat with them…have I forgotten that He said, “I am with you always”…have I?

The truth is that I didn’t forget, I just didn’t believe it…somewhere deep inside I looked at the rocking and rolling boat I was in and decided that the waves were stronger…imagine that…me, Christ follower for over 40 years…doubting His master.

How is it that ye have no faith?

I think it begins when we take our eyes off Him and believe the lies of circumstances. It continues when the seemly relentless waves of trials appear ready to toss you overboard into the depths of ruin.

“God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.” C.S. Lewis

My peace comes in spite of my circumstance because I am with Him…abiding, focusing, and communing with the Lord of the winds and waves. Then the waves take on a whole new meaning…they become very effective teachers. I wrote this poem a few years ago and I believe it can explain what I mean.

Not Moved

Planted, granite like.
I stand up to the waves.
Crashing waves,
cold, relentless.

The flash of the storm,
quieted.
The wet warmed away
by sun.

Rays expose a cliff changed,
not moved.
Revealed,
not moved.
Shaped,
but not moved.

Jay Cookingham – September 23, 2002 ©

Can I encourage you that the Lord is with you through your storms and will cause them to “be still”…trust and believe…Lo, He is with you always!
Blessings,
Jay

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,

Comments

HisFireFly said…
As you encourage the rest of us, take a giant measure for yourself!

This was beautiful.
jasonS said…
Those circumstances stand up to intimidate us, demanding attention, and often beating us up in the process. I'm so thankful Jesus is there in the midst of it and as soon as we turn to Him, He releases peace and wisdom and grace. He gives us strength to overcome--always. Thanks Jay. Great post and poem.
Jay Cookingham said…
Karin, I will...our Father is so very kind. Thanks for the prayers and keep taking those wonderful pictures.
Jay Cookingham said…
I'm so glad for that truth bro'...He is with us always...amen! Thanks Jason!
Setole said…
thanks for the blessing you left for the new computer ...

that last line in your poem is an excellent reminder that we can be changed but not moved ...
Jay Cookingham said…
I'm glad you have a new machine to continue to bless us all! Thanks seeing some truth in my poem...I appreciate that!
Bill (cycleguy) said…
Loved the Lewis quote Jay. Been reading Tullian Tchividjian's book on Grace and it is focused on Jonah. So far the conclusion is the same as yours. He is in the storm. Blessings this weekend my friend. Oh yeah...been there, done that, still doing it at times. :)
Jay Cookingham said…
Lewis gets me every time bro'. I am encouraged by the fact that God has not sent a very large fish to swallow me...even though some of these issues SEEM like a very large fish! Our Father loves us and we see us through any storm. Thanks Bill, appreciate you!
Tony Alicea said…
Let me just say that I absolutely LOVE that poem. So good and something that I really needed this morning. And that C.S. Lewis quote is dead-on. I'm so glad I read this post this morning and not yesterday, it means so much more right now. You are awesome Jay.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Tony! I appreciate the encouragement Bro' CS can bring it can't he?
Alex Marestaing said…
Good ppost Jay. Our trust is in God, not cirumstances. After a horrible week, my wife and I had a prayer time last night. While we were praying, a sweet peace filled the room. My circumstances hadn't changed, only my attitude, and I left our time feeling surprisingly joyful.
Jay Cookingham said…
Alex, I love it when He invades our space and brings peace and joy to our hearts.
Thanks for dropping by and leaving an awesome testimony to His faithfulness.
Herb Halstead said…
I am generally unshaken by things (again, generally), but I know plenty of people whose emotions roll with their circumstances. I think some people are just more prone to be intimidated by circumstances. But having said that, the fact remains, that a focus on the faithfulness of God is what enables us to withstand the wind and the waves.
Jay Cookingham said…
Thanks Herb, great perspective! Generally I right there with you...usually nothing phases me. Recently, that hasn't been true but God is faithful and for that I am glad.

Popular Posts